Do I have to be a U3APP member to enrol in 2018?
YES. You must have paid your 2018 membership prior to the start of enrolments on Monday 4 December 2017. If you’re not sure of your membership status, go to the U3A Port Phillip website, login, and your status will be displayed at the top of the screen.
When/how can I enrol in a course?
We prefer you to login and enrol on-line via our website, as it saves a lot of manual processing. However we do accept paper enrolment forms. On-line enrolments open Monday 4 December at 9:30am. Paper forms can be submitted during the last week of term (27 November to 1 December), but are not processed until Enrolment Day 4 December. Enrolments stay open for every course until the course fills. Waitlists are on-going – you can add yourself at any time.
I can’t login to the U3APP website – what do I do?
If you have any problems logging in, please send an email to [email protected] and someone will assist.
I’ve been attending a course in 2017 – do I have to enrol again?
YES. All courses are filled on a first-come-first-served basis. No preference is given to people who have been attending the course in the past. You need to enrol in the course on or after 4 December.
I’m already on a Waitlist for a course I want to join. Do I have to do anything?
YES. All courses are filled on a first-come-first-served basis. Waitlists are cleared at the end of the year and no preference is given to people who have been on a Waitlist. You need to enrol in the course on or after 4 December.
Am I more likely to get into a course if I enrol on-line?
We try and make the enrolment process as fair as possible. Paper enrolments are numbered in order of receipt and keyed by volunteers at the same time as on-line enrolments are opened. If you have a low-numbered paper enrolment, you will probably get a place in the courses you want. If you have a higher numbered paper enrolment, you are more likely to miss out on a popular course.
I would rather put in a paper enrolment. When can I do so?
The Course Guide will be available from 20 November. If you want to put in a paper 2018 Enrolment Form, they will be available from the Office from that date. Completed forms can be left at the Office from 27 November until 1 December. Forms will not be accepted before that date.
I’m an Associate Member. Can I still enrol in any U3APP course?
Some popular courses (eg exercise and language courses) are restricted to full members. These have (FM) beside the course name in the course guide.
I’m a member of another U3A but I really want to do a course marked (FM). What do I do?
You can join as a full member of U3APP even if you are a member of another U3A. You just pay $40 instead of $27 membership fee.
How do I maximise my chances of getting into a popular course?
Here are some hints:
- Check that you can login to the website well before Enrolment Day Monday 4 December – send an email to [email protected] if you have a problem.
- If you haven’t used the on-line enrolment system before or recently, practise booking into the test classes on the Courses and Enrolling page that will be set up for this purpose.
- On Enrolment Day, login to the website well before enrolment bookings open at 9:30am, so you are all ready to go.
- If you want to enrol in more than one course, book the one that you think is most likely to fill first, then the next most popular, and so on.
What if I miss out on the course I want to do?
Unfortunately, some of our courses are very popular and they may fill before you try to enrol. When this happens, the entry in the Courses and Enrolling page will change so that you can’t click on it to enrol. Instead the word WAITLIST will appear beside it. If you missed out, please click on the word WAITLIST. This will create an email message which you must SEND to put yourself on the Waitlist. Waitlists are processed in order of receipt of these emails.
Is it worth bothering to put myself on the Waitlist for a class that is full?
YES and YES. For two reasons:
- Over time, most people on a Waitlist get into the course. Often people who start a course find they can’t or don’t want to continue within the first week or so of the term, so you may not have to wait long.
- If the Course Coordinators know that there is a big demand for a course, they may be able to find another tutor to run a similar course, or persuade a tutor to run a second session, or to repeat the course. If that happens, people on the Waitlist for the course will be given preference for places on the additional course.
I enrolled in the practice course – should my name appear in the list of attendees?
You need to refresh the page before your name will appear.
I enrolled in the practice course – should I receive a confirmation email?
Yes you should. If you can’t find it, please check your spam or junk mail folder carefully. Many of our members have found that U3APP emails go into these folders, especially if they have a Gmail account. To find out how to stop this from happening for a Gmail account, click here.
I tried to put myself on the Waitlist for the practice course and it did not create an email as it is supposed to. What do I do?
Is there a limit to the number of courses I can enrol in?
Because of high demand there are restrictions for some classes and these are indicated as follows:
- (E) Exercise classes and (L) Language classes are limited to 2 courses per membe
- (FM) Full membership is required for some of our very popular courses, and these courses are not available for associate members.