Tutor/Facilitator Kevin Anderson
Date: on/from Wed 23 Mar 2022 to Wed 30 Mar 2022
Class time: 11:30-12:30
Middle Park, Bowling Club
Coverage of eight epochs in mathematics, follow up of contemporary protagonists with more detail and more examples from previous course:
- Euclid, Archimedes 300 BCE – Elements, geometry, quadratics, square root, pi(), conic sections, Pythagoras, Plato, Aristotle
- Hindu Arabic up to 13th century – replace Roman abacus, constructible Ngon, Islamic patterns, Fibonacci, golden ratio
- Cardano, Descartes 16th century – analytical geometry, binomials, cubics, probability, cartesian, imaginary, Fermat, Pascal
- Newton, Liebnitz seminal 1666 – celestial, light, laws of motion, calculus, Kepler, Galileo, Bernouilli, Euler
- Gauss, Maxwell 19th century – Boole, Fourier, Riemman, Weierstrass
- Godel, Turing 1930’s – incomplete, inconsistent, Turing machine, Von Neumann, Shannon
- Jobs, Gates 1980’s – insanely great, Apple, Windows, iPhones et al
- Anderson (me) – safety integrity – road, rail, air.
Mathematics is a fulsome meal – the eight tasting plates have been progressively expanded as main course, now a degustation.
- No experience needed
- Officeworks sponsored books and compasses available
Kevin graduated from Melbourne University in Engineering (1968) and Planning (1972). Reacting to 1984 Ash Wednesday bushfires he turned to a career of safety critical system software safety assurance, deeply mathematical and still consulting part-time.
no class on 2 March
Classes will be held on Zoom if COVID restrictions do not allow face-to-face classes