Tutor/Facilitator Kevin Anderson
Date: on/from Wed 6 Oct 2021 to Wed 1 Dec 2021
Class time: 11:30-12:30
Follow up to ‘A mathematical tasting plate of eight delicacies‘.
Coverage of eight epochs in mathematics, follow up of contemporary protagonists with more detail and more examples from previous course:
- Euclid, Archimedes 300 BCE – Elements, geometry, quadratics, square root, pi(), conic sections, Pythagoras, Plato, Aristotle
- Hindu Arabic up to 13th century – replace Roman abacus, constructible Ngon, Islamic patterns, Fibonacci, golden ratio
- Cardano, Descartes 16th century – analytical geometry, binomials, cubics, probability, cartesian, imaginary, Fermat, Pascal
- Newton, Liebnitz seminal 1666 – celestial, light, laws of motion, calculus, Kepler, Galileo, Bernouilli, Euler
- Gauss, Maxwell 19th century – Boole, Fourier, Riemman, Weierstrass
- Godel, Turing 1930’s – incomplete, inconsistent, Turing machine, Von Neumann, Shannon
- Jobs, Gates 1980’s – insanely great, Apple, Windows, iPhones et al
- Anderson (me) – safety integrity – road, rail, air.
As was said the first time: Mathematics is a fulsome meal – the eight tasting plates have been progressively expanded as main course, now a degustation.
- No experience needed
- Officeworks sponsored books and compasses available
Kevin graduated from Melbourne University in Engineering (1968) and Planning (1972). Reacting to 1984 Ash Wednesday bushfires he turned to a career of safety critical system software safety assurance, deeply mathematical and still consulting part-time
Enrolments / Bookings
You are not logged in or registered.
You must be a financial member and logged in to enrol in a class.
If you are not a U3APP member and are booking for an event that is open to non-members, then please register below.
Members please login using the Membership Login in the sidebar to the right of the page. Login with your email address and password. If you haven't used the system before, your password is also set to your email address. If you've changed it but forgotten what you changed it to, send an email to email@example.com and we will reset your password for you.