Tutor/Facilitator Douglas Adeney
Date: on/from Wed 15 Apr 2020 to end year
Class time: 11:45-1:15
This course investigates some aspects of these three matters, and their relationships with one another.
Among the questions to be addressed are the following:
- Does reason support religious belief? How, and how far?
- On the other hand, should religious believers reject reason, as some do, in favour of “faith”?
- Without religion, is life meaningless? How, exactly?
- Is life meaningless or absurd in some other way? Does our rationality save us here, or is it actually, as some have argued, part of the problem?
- If life is indeed meaningless or absurd, what should we do about it?
- On the other hand, if life is not meaningless, or not necessarily so, what might its meaning be?
Along the way we shall discuss the views of a number of thinkers, including St Thomas Aquinas, Blaise Pascal, David Hume, Leo Tolstoy, Albert Camus, Bertrand Russell, Thomas Nagel, Susan Wolf, and Monty Python.
Notes will be provided.
TUTOR: Douglas has Philosophy degrees from Monash University (MA) and the University of St Andrews, Scotland (PhD). He taught philosophy at Melbourne State College and then for many years at the University of Melbourne. More recently he has taught numerous courses at the Centre for Adult Education (CAE), and now he is also greatly enjoying his involvement at U3APP.
Enrolments / Bookings
You are not logged in or registered.
You must be a financial member and logged in to enrol in a class.
If you are not a U3APP member and are booking for an event that is open to non-members, then please register below.
Members please login using the Membership Login in the sidebar to the right of the page. Login with your email address and password. If you haven't used the system before, your password is also set to your email address. If you've changed it but forgotten what you changed it to, send an email to [email protected] and we will reset your password for you.
This course or event is FULL. Please return to the Courses and Enrolling page to Waitlist yourself by clicking on the word WAITLIST beside the name of the course or event.