Date of event or class - Tue 16 Oct
Tutor/Facilitator Colin MacLeod
Frequency weekly until Oct 23
Mary Kehoe Centre, Room 1
This course will cover:
Where did the old Testament come from?
- Ancient Israel
- Who had sovereignty in Israel before the Romans?
- The making of the Bible
The making of the New Testament
- The geopolitical situation at the time of Muhammad
- The Caliphate & early Islam o Islam the religion
- The Qur’ans formation
- The recently discovered Birmingham Qu’an
- Mary the Virgin in Qu’an
- Other important Islamic teachings
- Intellectualism in Islam
- The glories of Cordoba, Islam’s eclipse
Islam tensions in the West
- Reaction of fundamentalist Islamic society
- A return of Ijtihad is desperately needed
TUTOR: Colin has an impressive background that includes: barrister, judge and magistrate; patrol officer in the Northern Territory working with Australian Aborigines; lecturer at Prahran Technical College and RMIT; author of Patrol in the Dreamtime and A Strong Song. Post-retirement activities include: assisting ex-prisoners after release from prison; Bachelor of Theology (covering Aboriginal religion, Islam, God/Science).
NOTE: Classes held 1:45 to 2:45 in September and 12:30-1:30 in October