Date of event or class - Tue 24 Jul
Tutor/Facilitator Colin MacLeod
Frequency Weekly, 5 sessions
Mary Kehoe Centre, Room 1
This course will cover:
- The context of Australian constitutional history (British constitutional history)
- Early Australian colonial constitutions
- The build-up to Federation
- Debate on the content and structure of the Constitution
- The passing of the Australian Constitution Act by the House of Commons
- The interpretation and implementation of the Constitution
- The 1967 Referendum (Aboriginal provisions)
- Proposed future referendum (the Uluru Statement)
5 sessions from 17 July until 14 August.
TUTOR: Colin has an impressive background that includes: barrister, judge and magistrate; patrol officer in the Northern Territory working with Australian Aborigines; lecturer at Prahran Technical College and RMIT; author of Patrol in the Dreamtime and A Strong Song.
Post-retirement activities include: assisting ex-prisoners after release from prison; Bachelor of Theology (covering Aboriginal religion, Islam, God/Science).