'The Human Experience in the Time of Coronavirus'
U3A Port Phillip launched a photographic exhibition for U3APP Members on the weekend of 30-31 May 2020.
Purpose of the Exhibition
The purpose of the exhibition is three-fold:
- To continue and expand U3APP’s commitment to engaging its members in ongoing educational and creative activities.
- To provide an avenue for illustrating the creative talents of U3APP members
- To contribute to the historical record of the life and times of the corona virus pandemic.
The exhibition is really to have a look at our time throughout the Coronavirus pandemic through a collection of digital photographs (camera, phone, iPad) capturing and recording the human experience, since shut down on 16 March.
Criteria for Submission of Photographs
As the aim of the exhibition is to capture and record the human experience, to be eligible for submission photographs must include at least one person or the activities of a person.
A caption must be included with the photograph to illuminate thoughts or explain why the photograph represents ‘the human experience in the time of corona virus.
Photographs that do not involve people, such as where the primary subject is an animal/bird or other creature, or the activities of an animal/bird or other creature are not eligible for submission.
It should be noted that as this is an exhibition is not a competition - emotional impact rather than technical composition is more the criterion for submission.
It is intended that one or more photographs will be published in the e-Bulletin on a weekly basis, the selection of photographs will be undertaken by U3APP’s resident photographer Barry McIntosh assisted by Rob Creed and Aziza Khamlichi.
It is possible that the U3A photographs could be displayed as a feature of the City of Port Phillip Seniors Festival.
To submit a photograph, there are five steps:
- take a photograph which meets the criteria above
- if you are not using your phone camera, load the photograph from your camera onto your computer
- upload your photograph from your phone or computer to GooglePhotos
- add a caption to the photograph
- share your photograph with U3APP
It is up to you to know how to do steps 1 and 2. Detailed instructions for the remaining steps are included below. NOTE - if you find these steps too complicated, please just email the photo, with an appropriate message which will become the caption, to [email protected]
Once submitted, your photograph will be reviewed by the U3APP photography team led by Barry McIntosh. If your photograph meets the criteria, it will be displayed on our U3APP website and selected photographs will be published in the U3APP e-bulletin. There may be a delay of a day or so between your submission and the photo being added to the Exhibition Gallery.
Click on the arrow to read the detailed instructions.
Step 3. Upload your photograph from your phone or computer to GooglePhotos
You can share your photograph with U3APP by emailing it, but in most cases photographs lose quality when emailed and therefore we are suggesting that your share it by putting it " into the cloud". We have selected GooglePhotos as the cloud storage mechanism. GooglePhotos provides unlimited storage, at no cost and works on any device. To use GooglePhotos you will need to have a Google Account, which again is free.
Your Google Account
If you have a Gmail address, you already have a Google account. You can sign in to Google using your Gmail address and password.
Otherwise, you will need to create an account (free):
- Go to https://accounts.google.com/signup/v2/webcreateaccount?service=accountsettings&continue=https%3A%2F%2Fmyaccount.google.com%2F&dsh=S-1441803802%3A1586143157826672&gmb=exp&biz=false&flowName=GlifWebSignIn&flowEntry=SignUp.
- Your Google account can be created with either a new Gmail address or your current email address:
- For a new Gmail address, enter your first name, last name, the username you would like to have and the password you want to use. Then click on Next. If the username is already taken by someone else, a message will be displayed and you will need to select another username.
- To use your current email address, click on Use my current email address instead. Enter your email address and password (create a new password different from the one you use to access your mail). Then click on Next. An email will be sent to that address containing a code which you will be prompted to enter.
Login to GooglePhotos
- Go to https://photos.google.com/ in your browser
- If you are not currently signed in, Sign in is displayed at the top right of your screen. Click on it and enter the email address and password for your Google account.
- If you are already signed in to Google, then instead of Sign In an icon is displayed. Click on the icon to see the currently signed in account. If you wish to change the account, click on Sign Out and then sign in with another account.
Upload the photograph onto GooglePhotos from your computer
- Login to GooglePhotos as above
- Click on Upload on the top right of your screen
- Click on From Computer
- Select the location of the file containing the photograph and click on Open.
- Your photo will be loaded onto your GooglePhotos and it will be displayed as a thumbnail on your screen.
Upload the photograph onto GooglePhotos from your phone
- Download the Google Photos app from AppStore on your iPhone or Play Store on your Android phone. You will be prompted to turn on " back up and sync". NOTE: If you do not wish to have all photos backed up in GooglePhotos do not turn on this option or if you do not want the Google Photos app on your iPhone, do not do the download. Instead you will need to manually move the photo to your computer and follow the above step.
- Once you have downloaded the app, it will automatically save photos and videos you take on your phone to your GooglePhotos library when you have internet access.
Step 4. Add a caption to the photograph using Google Photos
- Login to GooglePhotos as above if you are not already logged on. The library of your photographs is displayed, as thumbnails.
- Click on the photograph you are submitting and then click on Info (an i in a circle at the top of the screen)
- Type in your words where it says " add a description". This caption must include your name and your thoughts or explanation as to why the photograph represents ‘the human experience in the time of corona virus.
- Click on X to the left of the word Info
- Click on the left arrow at the left of the screen to return to your library of photographs.
Step 5. Share your photograph with U3APP
- Login to GooglePhotos as above if you are not already logged on
- Click on the photograph you are submitting and click on Share (2 lines joined by 3 dots at the top of the screen).
- In the To box, type in [email protected]
- In the Say Something box, type in your name.
- Click on SEND. The photograph has now been shared with U3APP and an email sent to the photography team.